What Do My Loved Ones Do
It's very natural to be worried about your kids, partner or pets while you're in therapy, but there are several ways to make sure they're cared for when you are in rehab.
A major worry for individuals who require dependence treatment is their blood relation - where they will live, how they can manage financially and if they can always keep in touch at the time of healing.
You can plan well ahead for yourself and your loved ones if you know the choices you can that will allow you get over your addiction problem.
As long as you plan carefully and ask for assistance before you start treatment, your family will be taken care of during your stay at rehab.
- Who will take care of my kids while I am at a treatment centre?
- What happens if I do not have someone who can assist?
- What other alternatives are there?
- Can my family or friends visit me?
- How will my family manage when i'm in rehab?
- While going, is there a way I can tell my child?
- What happens to my pet when I am in treatment?
- How can I keep in touch with my loved ones from treatment?
- How can I get treatment today?
Ready to Get Help?
CALL US NOW ON 0800 772 3971
Child Care Alternatives For People In Therapy
When you're a guardian highly considering therapy, getting a dependable caregiver for your children can be very tricky. There are, however, many alternatives to make sure your child is safe and sound while you are in a rehab.
The best choice is usually someone who your children already know and trust who is close to your family.
We can assist you to get a program that will help your recovery if you contact us on 0800 772 3971.
Parents in rehab usually reach out to their
- Your brothers and sisters
- Close friends
Daytime kindergarten can be a great alternative if your other options have other responsibilities (school, job, etc.). A few healing places as well provide child care services or can link to local child care resources.
If you're a single mother or father, some rehab bases accept your children to live with you in therapy. These plans not only heal the guardian's dependence, but as well treat the kid for any associated psychological health concerns.
If you are looking for a treatment centre that will let your kid stay with you, contact us today for assistance.
Your Children And Telling Them About Rehab
It is very significant to speak with your kid about your dependency and why you are going for a treatment. It will help them deal with you not being there and to understand the situation. It will also ensure that they do not think they are to blame for anything.
Follow these instructions when you are speaking with your kids
- Know as much as possible about rehabilitation and dependence on addictive substances.
- Discussing with your children will become easy, depending on the level of your understanding of the two issues.
- Talk with them so they can understand you, use words they know.
- Medical terms should be left out of the discussion.
- Before you talk to your children, make sure the timing is right.
- Serene surroundings are perfect if they have no distractions.
- Accept the impact that your addiction has had on them and recognize their feelings.
- Apologize if you've tormented them.
- Tell the truth and let them ask questions.
- The fact that your are responsible for your actions and they can't do anything about it should be discussed with them.
The "Seven C's" method was developed by the National Association for Children of Alcoholics to help children deal with their parent's substance abuse. Kids are urged to remember the "Seven Cs" to remind them that they're not the source of the difficulty. It also offers ideas on how to deal with a parent who is addicted.
Your Child Should Know The Seven Cs
- I did not cause it
- I cannot cure it
- I cannot control it
- I am able to care better for myself
- By communicating my emotions
- Making healthy choices and
- Celebrating me
Non-Profit And Government Child Care Choices
There are many alternatives for you if you are having problems finding a person close to you to take care of your kids. Safe Families for Children is one - a non-governmental, volunteer organization. These organizations place children in temporary care when their parents are unavailable or unable to care for them. You can rest assured that your children will be safe and sound because the Safe Families for Children organization thoroughly checks its volunteer families. While receiving treatment and after that, the parents of the kids can come for them.
If you can't detect a program that matches your family's demands, voluntary positioning in foster care may be offered in your state. This should, however, be your last choice.
Placing your child in foster care requires you to sign a VPA or Voluntary Placement Agreement. Signing it means that you will be transferring the custody and care of your child to the Department of Children's Services temporarily. You could be required to pay child support on a monthly basis.
Opting for this method is really frightening, but it is a choice. If you are must go to the court as required by the agreement you sign with the VPA, do it. You need to keep in mind that the greatest thing you can do for your kid and yourself is to beat your addiction.
Options For Pet Care Whilst In Rehab
In many families, pets are considered a loving member. Similar to addicted parents, those who own pets often find it difficult to find a fitting care provider. There are many alternatives for you if you can't find a person to look after your pet while you are in treatment.
There is long-term residential boarding at many facilities though long stays can be quite costly. For any pets that require minimal care, like cats, fish, or rodents, a pet sitter may be a more reasonable option. The pet sitter will be coming to your house on specific days each week to provide the necessary care for your pet. Some will even house your pets until you get home. Pets that require constant care, like dogs or other animals might be better off with this alternative.
Make sure you provide detailed instructions, contact information for your vet, and your pets relevant medical records for someone caring for your pet while you are in treatment. Be certain to give word to your Vet that your pet will be in the attention of a different individual for the period of your program.
If leaving your pet is completely not a consideration, there are rehab centres that allow patients to go with their pets. Pet friendly facilities are becoming more popular but are still rare. Traveling to another state or city might be your only option in this case. If you are not able to discover a place that permits your pet to stay with you, you will be in a position to get one that allows pets during visiting period.
Visitation With Family And Friends During Treatment
Majority of programs have established that loved ones are a critical part of the treatment and having their support is extremely crucial for you to fully recover.
To assist with adjustment, most forms of communication e.g. phone calls and emails along with visitors are permitted for the first week after arrival.
Many facilities let you have visitors when this first week passes.
While some centres allow visitors either weekly or monthly, others allow them during the short break in the afternoon. The length of visitations also varies by facility.
Visitors have to be included into your visitor's list if they are to visit and they all have to be accepted by your counsellor. Make sure that your friends and family fulfill the stipulated requirements by checking the facility policies.
Contacting Your Friends And Family From Treatment
You have a few ways to communicate with loved ones when you're in treatment. It depends with plan, though a good number of centres accept phone and internet use (email) at assigned periods. There is also the option of sending and receiving letters.
We have facilities that even allow you to receive care packages from your loved ones. Although, they will probably be accessed by staff immediately for security reasons. Learn what your loved ones can send you in a package by checking with your centre's management.
Family counselling may also be offered. Your family may be suffering from reliance on drugs too. The sessions are meant to facilitate recognizing the feelings of each family member and everyone's healing.
Financial Assistance For Your Family During Therapy
If you are a primary financial caretaker of your family, then the expenses of addiction program might be a financial strain while you are away. Here are a few ways to lessen money problems down the road
- Use your paid time off that you have left, as well as sick leave days after a discussion with your boss.
- If you've a lot saved up, you'll still acquire a pay check for some, if not all, of your period in Rehab.
- Ask friends and family for assistance.
- You will be surprised by the number of people who are ok with making a contribution towards the cost of treatment and sustaining your family financially as you go through treatment.
- The company that handles your health insurance may pay part of the money if you contact them.
- Medicare or Medicaid along with the Affordable Care Act provide options which contribute to addiction treatment expenses.
- Check if your company offers short-term disability with your boss, and if it does ask if that includes drug and alcohol addiction treatment.
- You might be able to decrease total expenses with these solutions.
- To ensure that you pay for your treatment without trouble, you can check the facility whether there is allowance for installment payment if you cannot pay the whole medical bill once.
If your family can't keep up with bills while you're getting treatment, try to get extensions or ask your creditors to change dues dates. Most people understand addiction and will support the steps you are taking to get sober and will be happy to work alongside you.
Treatment Of Addiction Is The Best For You And The People You Love
Being separated from your family while you're away in treatment are valid concerns. Mostly everyone going into rehab shares these same feelings. But your recovery needs to be your primary concern and nothing should get in your way. At the end of the day, being sober is the best thing for you and the people you love.
Don't spend one more second of your lives on addiction.