What Can I Have With Me In Therapy
There are certain items that are not allowed in a rehab facility and so when checking in, you need to be sure which ones are allowed.
Rehab centres have strict policies in place regard what an inpatient can bring with him or her. These prohibited items will be outlined in a form before come in so you are aware.
The admission process begins as soon as you check in. All the items that are not allowed will be eliminated at this step. A checklist is provided by some clinics to make sure no items are forgot once treatment is over.
However, all treatment centres allow you to bring in the necessities that are required. However, each rehab has its own conditions on what they allow and what is not allowed.
Ready to Get Help?
CALL US NOW ON 0800 772 3971
Knowing The Packing Requirements Of Your Rehab
If you are not sure about bringing an item or have any questions about what you should be packing you should be having a look on the website of the rehab for a "what to bring" page. Search for the FAQ page if that section is not present. The patients are also given hard copies with all the items listed. In case you are unable to find these information in print, you can always call your rehab centre for it. They will let you know of all the items. This will also be an opportune moment for you to inquire about anything that you were not sure with.
Items Most Recommended By Rehab Centres To Bring With You
The things allowed in one rehab may not be allowed in others.
For the better part, you are recommended to carry the following
- Names, contact information, and addresses of people you want to be notified or involved in the process whenever required.
- Jewels like your wedding ring or a watch that you wear every day and deem as necessary.
- On the contrary, keep your valued objects at your dwelling.
- Alarm clock with no other features like radio or what not.
- Some centres are known to supply these items, and therefore, it would be better to verify this particular item before venturing out into the market to purchase them.
- All prescribed medications in their original bottle.
- Any medicine in liquid form must be new and sealed.
- It is also important to provide a list of all your medications and prescribed quantities.
- Some cash can also be carried in small amounts £50-£100 in smaller bills for vending machines and store runs.
- Your check book, credit or debit card for therapy medication expenses.
- Your insurance cards along with a method of identification [driver's license, passport, etc.].
- Call cards may be required in cases where long distance calls are accessible only through it.
- A notebook or newspaper.
- Stamps and envelopes for mailing letters if you wish to.
- Photographs of friends or loved ones you hold dear.
- Reading materials like books however, some centres provide them to you.
- Most of the items that are allowed should play some part in the recovery process.
- TIP It is recommended that you carry just paperback books because they are easy to carry around than hardcovers.
What Clothing You Can Carry
Most centres for rehab adhere to a strict dress code, and therefore, it is essential for you to be aware about any restrictions, which may apply during the packing. In case you are not aware about how the weather will be like, carry some summer as well as winter clothes with you.
This however does not mean that you should carry your whole closet.
Attire for a week is sufficient as you should be able to wash your clothing in a laundry machine at your centre. It is best to take along only those clothes that can be cleaned easily.
You should carry along about seven days of comfortable and with appropriate clothing, including the following
- Shoes Comfortable shoes for everyday use, tennis shoes for activities/sports and flip-flops for the shower.
- Shirts Make sure you bring cardigans that should be worn with tank tops in order to respect the dress code.
- Shorts These also need to be suitable to comply with the centres dress code.
- A dress or two for any special events like appreciation or family night.
- Fresh and clean pairs of socks.
- A bathing suit; At least one.
- A coat/jacket.
- Bath robe.
- A hat Some centres do not allow wearing hats inside the premises.
Beauty And Hygiene Products To Pack
Rehab centres require every toiletries and beauty products to be free absolutely from alcohol. While other centres may allow you to bring products with alcohol component as long as it is not listed as one of the top three ingredients. No aerosols are allowed.
You should hygiene and cosmetic products that should last a month
- Toothpaste and toothbrush
- Shampoo and conditioner
- Hair styling spray
- Comb / brush
- Feminine hygiene products
- Shaving cream
Items That Are Prohibited In Rehab
Certain items are not allowed inside the premises of rehab centres. The prohibited items are not allowed to keep you safe and on the path of recovery Most of the following item are not allowed in many rehabs
- Drugs and alcohol
- Medicines that are not prescribed
- Arms (pistols, blades, scissors, piercing objects, etc.)
- Materials with sexual content
- Food and drink
- Body sprays with alcohol content
- Electronic cigarettes of any form of vape.
- Medications that are not prescribed
- Nail products
- Video games and DVDs
- Sport equipment
- Clothing that is not descent
- Peroxide agents
- Electronic products
- Games and playing cards
- Incense or candles
- Clothes with crude statements or photos of drug, violence, or alcohol on them
Games and playing cards, video games and DVDs, and sporting apparatus may leave you wondering. However, the items are prohibited with the intention to help you to avoid distractions and to provide you an opportunity to remain focused on your recovery. The centre houses most such items and you will enjoy access to them as per the guidelines of your centre.
No food and drinks from cooked or prepared by external sources are allowed. You will be provided with three meals a day, snacks and beverages. You should look forward to notifying your rehab before being admitted if you have any special dietary requirements.
These Items Are Permitted By Some Clinics But Not Others
Each rehab has its own rules which may be different to that of another rehab. These are some of the items that may be allowed or not allowed in the facilities
- Your Laptop and Smartphone
- The laptops and pcs are restricted in some places while allowed in others depending on the rehabs policies.
- Don't leave your charger behind.
- Some centres consider your personal smoking liberty hence they allow you to bring your cigarettes.
- Although you have this privilege, you are limited to a number of specified quantities allowed.
- Vitamins and OTC Medications
- These products must be new and unopened.
- Chewing gums
- It must be unopened and sealed.
- Music and CD Player
- It is sometimes possible to carry items that don't have an internet connection or speakers.
- Some clinics permit cameras without internet connection for those who love pictures.
- Disposable Razor or Electric Razor
- This though is largely not admitted in most centres.
- You can bring disposable razors with you.
- Nail Clippers
- Clippers are allowed although some centres consider this as a contraband.
- Additional Items
- Some centres allow you to bring your own pillows, bedding or curtains to make you feel at ease.
- However, all these items should be allowed first.
Will My Property Be Handed Over If It Was Confiscated Upon Admission
Your property will always be safe. The forbidden objects that you carried to the clinic will be given back to the person who took you there. Someone you trust can also come to pick them up from the facility. Your objects can be kept at the centre until you finish your therapy.
If you are traveling from a distant location and are arriving by air it is likely that you will not have a loved one with you during the admission to take the prohibited items back. Make sure you review the regulations of your centre by calling them. You also need to be sure of the safety of your items if they are not allowed inside the facility. In case the centre doesn't store them, request them to send the items to your home address.
Packing For Rehab Can Be Easy If you have all the information from the rehab, this process becomes less hectic. They always have documents that give details of this information. Follow the general rule and try to pack light to keep it down to the necessities.
Get Assistance Today
Every reputable centre gives permission to its patients to bring with them things which will help them to stay comfortably inside the facility. Our treatment specialists can provide you the assistance needed to find a centre best suited to your requirements.
We can help you find the best centre, call us today on 0800 772 3971.