What Is Addiction To Painkillers All About
Within the United States alone, recommended analgesics belong to a group of substances with the highest level of dependency. A huge number of medicines for painkillers are prescribed across the country causing danger of addiction to numerous clients who are on their endorsed dosage.
An individual's recommended portion can herald a dependency on analgesics. Since painkilling medications are prescribed in America very often, so, these drugs commonly cause addiction because of their nature (they bring euphoria); what is more, dependence on painkillers forms very quickly. Find an addiction treatment facility that suits all your needs by calling 0800 772 3971.
Simply put, 'addiction' means physical dependence on some substance plus psychological craving to take it. when someone abuses painkillers for a while, their body will be dependant on drugs.
Withdrawal symptoms and tolerance are two indications of a physical addiction. Physical dependency is marked by the ignorant behaviour towards the negative consequences of abusing drugs.
Statistics Regarding Addiction To Painkillers
Alas, people get addicted to prescription pain-relieving drugs more often than you think.
Below are some disturbing insights for painkiller manhandle, as per the National Institute on Drug Abuse
Professional assistance is within your reach if you or a loved one is addicted to analgesics. With a strong resolve, one can get over an addiction to analgesics and other related substances.
Normally Addictive Painkillers
- Codeine this is a prescribed drug to relieve mild to moderate pain. It can also be used to treat cough. The nature of this drug is less stronger than other opiates.
- Codeine is frequently mixed with sweet drinks to form a solution popularly called purple drink which is often misused by young people.
- Usage of codeine can attract the user to try other more unsafe sedatives.
- Darvocet/Darvon Darvocet and Darvon, drugs that are banned by FDA were propoxyphene-based painkillers that caused huge number of hospitalizations due to dangerous side effects and deaths when it was in circulation.
- These highly addictive medications, as well as other similar ones, may still remain in illegal use.
- Demerol Demerol is a narcotic that relieves pain from moderate to severe; currently it is prescribed relatively rarely due to being highly addictive.
- Demerol is actually the brand name. The drug is called meperidine and cause euphoria which is similar to morphine effect.
- Dilaudid - This analgesic is extremely potent often going with alias 'hospital grade heroin'.
- It is obtainable in varying forms though it should be noted that respiratory related issues or even death can occur if individuals who can't cope with the Dilaudid consume it.
- Fentanyl - It is a synthetic painkiller that's 100 times stronger than morphine and is only prescribed to people who are tolerant to opioids and experience severe pain.
- Fentanyl can rapidly cause an overdose or other risky side effects when it is used together with other pain relievers such as heroin.
- Hydrocodone - It can be found in drugs like Norco and Vicodin and is a primary ingredient in several strong painkillers.
- Hydrocodone is mostly combined with acetaminophen or ibuprofen. However, FDA has now allowed the use of pure hydrocodone.
- All these drugs have an alarming level of an individual depending on them.
- Methadone this is another prescribed painkiller which is only used to treat severe pain. Sometimes it can be a substitute for drug addicts, such as heroin addicts.
- Even though it can be used as a help to treat an addiction, methadone itself is addictive.
- Morphine it is considered as a saviour for those in severe pain. It is a very strong opiate, though.
- Considered as the most addictive substances available currently and its usage has caused lot of accidental medication related deaths across the country.
- Oxycodone - It is sold under trade names like Percocet and OxyContin and is one of the most addictive prescribed painkillers.
- It can easily be misused yet it is readily available in most authorized pharmaceutical stores.
Ready to Get Help?
CALL US NOW ON 0800 772 3971
Locating Treatment For Painkiller Addiction
Being addicted to painkillers is very destructive, risky, and expensive. If you or your loved one is battling with this kind of dependence, huge number of individuals /rehabs are available to effectively treat your addiction and related complications. Selecting a good addiction treatment facility will enable you to overbear your addiction to painkiller and regain control over your life. You can find many effective treatments across the country that also equipped with qualified addiction counsellor and therapy programs. To assist you to locate the ideal remedial centre for you in getting your life back on track, all we will require is your area of residence, budget and any other specific request you might have in mind.