It is a synthetically made drug, having a potency that is 50 to 100 times better than morphine. Severe pain that is a result of post surgery or during cancer treatment pain are used to relieve discomfort. Fentanyl is a strong opioid that is given to patients who have developed tolerance to other medications meant to relieve pain. It is a good candidate for abuse because of its powerful effect. After one becomes tolerant to Fentanyl, they will subsequently need higher amounts to feel normal.
Start overcoming your addiction now 0800 772 3971.
It uses its versatility to satisfy the needs of the user.
Fentanyl brand names and forms include
- Actiq - the lozenge form available on plastic sticks which is normally placed under the tongue like a lollipop.
- It has some military applications and is used for patients who are already on pain-relieving medications.
- Duragesic - A patch of Fentanyl which had its inception in the 1990s.
- Its effects can last for up to 3 days and it's prescribed to treat moderate to severe pain.
- Sublimaze - Usually given in hospitals at times coupled with analgesics, it is the injectable preparation of Fentanyl.
- Used to handle pain before and after surgery.
- Subsys - This refers to a sublingual spray that is put under the tongue to offer the fastest relief of pain.
- Used to manage the breakthrough pain experienced by cancer patients.
- Abstral - Abstral is the quick-dissolvable tablet version of Fentanyl and is placed under the tongue for immediate relief and also used for opioid-tolerant patients with breakthrough cancer pain.
- Lazanda - Lazanda comes in the form of a nasal spray and is administered in the same way as a common nasal decongestant spray.
- It is predominantly consumed to treat the pain in cancer patients.
Fentanyl sets into action by blocking pain receptors located in the brain besides building up on the production of dopamine, the hormone that makes us happy. Some common street names of Fentanyl include apache, China white, China girl, dance fever, crush as well as TNT just to mention a few.
In case you or someone you care about is abusing Fentanyl, get help today.
Effects Of Fentanyl Misuse
Despite the fact that it can be used on doctor's recommendation, people can become over dependent on the drug and use it to excess just as any other drug in that class.
The possibility of using the drug excessively can cause the possible outbreak of health issues as a result of using this drug recklessly.
Those taking overdoses of Fentanyl usually experience utter euphoria together with a sense of relaxation quite akin to the high of heroin.
These are the side effects from being addicted to Fentanyl
- Slower breathing
- Impaired vision
- Inability to pass stool
- Nausea and sickness
To those without a tolerance to opioids, Fentanyl abuse is dangerous. The risk of an overdose is increased when an abuser without a tolerance abuses it.
Fentanyl abuse can cause depression and even result in failure of the respiratory system, ending up with a possible fatal overdose.
Combining Fentanyl with illicit narcotics such as heroin and stimulants such as cocaine increases the damaging potency of this drug. In case Fentanyl is taken by following a prescription or for recreational needs, it is a quite lethal drug.
Ready to Get Help?
CALL US NOW ON 0800 772 3971
Indications Of A Fentanyl Addiction
The drug may reconfigure the brain and stimulate overproduction of dopamine as a result of its effect on the central nervous system. When they have finished using the one giving by their doctors, some may become addicted to the drug and obtain it at any costs, even using criminal techniques as a result of the drug on the central nervous system.
From abuse to full-blown addiction, OPRs like Fentanyl can escalate.
People may deliberately or unknowingly become addicted to this drug due to the erroneous belief that it cannot be abused like other addictive substances like heroin and co. The Diagnostics and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders offers doctors a criteria of making a diagnosis of substance use disorder which helps in picking out subtle behaviours that could indicate one being tolerant or developing some withdrawal effects.
Discover more on the recognition of an addiction to Fentanyl.
Treatment For A Dependency To Fentanyl
Even though it is not really life-threatening when stopping the use this drug by going cold turkey, it is not the best decision. Those who are addicted to Fentanyl mostly have a physical dependence to it, and the withdrawal symptoms could be quite painful. Inpatient and outpatient resources are offered by specialized treatment centres to help those addicted quit Fentanyl.
Fentanyl withdrawal might vary in severity depending on levels of use, the withdrawal symptoms of the drug range from marked irritability and chills to sweating and restlessness.
Though the Fentanyl withdrawal is rarely lethal, chances of a relapse are quite high. Medical supervision at the time of a detox could simplify the cleansing process and reduce the chances of a relapse.
Call Now And Regain Control
Despite the difficulties, a Fentanyl addiction can be hard to overcome but it is possible to overcome any addiction. In order to lend a helping hand, support groups are spread across the country. You can begin to break your addiction now.